Monday, May 16, 2016

Exploring New Textures, Again

I recently went to the 
show at Rittenhouse Square in Philadelphia.
The Guild shows are consistently wonderful because members must meet and maintain a certain level of mastery in their particular area of craft.
I'm always interested in seeing what other jewelers are creating and was again reminded that most professionals have developed a particular line that can be recognized...
(some fabulous work was seen by Janine DeCresenzo and Heather Stief)
a definite advantage when promoting one's work.

I continue to believe that, when seen as a whole, the body of my work has a degree of cohesiveness,
but individual pieces might not be attributed to me.
This approach does create a marketing challenge,
but I have not been able to deny my interest in exploring new techniques...
like the texturing of these copper discs.
I had cut a few discs, wanting to experiment with texturing.
The plan had been to do some fold-forming,
so the discs were annealed.
As I prepared to get to work, my focus shifted to my dapping block
and ended up with a a texture that calls to mind a lotus seed pod or a lunar landscape.
Once I had a small collection of these lotus/lunar discs,
the brainstorming began.

I have what I think are promising ideas for earrings and bracelets that incorporate the new discs,
but chose to move forward with a necklace.
Three discs, of gradating size, 
were soldered to a base of etched silver nickel
that I had cut with my jeweler's saw.
A bail was formed with pliers
and soldered on to the back
allowing for a clean connection to the woven cable.

Could this be the beginning of a specific line in my jewelry empire?
Possible....
but probably not.

1 comment:

  1. You have created wonderful textures of this beautiful necklace, good to see you have so much perfection in your work. Good job and start selling them.

    ReplyDelete