Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Etching to Earrings

Preparations for upcoming holiday shows had me busy etching metal last week, 
using some of my current, favorite patterns.
Last month's Art Festival and recent deliveries to shops has left my inventory of earrings completely depleted, 
so earring making is at the top of my 
To-Do List.

After a thorough post-etching cleaning,
I punched out a small disc from some of the pieces.
Each piece had been assessed to determine the most appropriate balance, 
and I used a template to mark the location to be punched.
This extra step of marking the punch location is worthwhile since I find it challenging to accurately situate metal in my disc cutter.
The traced circle lets me double check my placement before hammering with confidence on the punch.

Once I had accurately punched the discs,
they were drilled, domed and sanded...
ready to become earrings.

With wire wrapped gemstones and sterling earwires,
the discs are coming off my workbench, 
ready for someone to find them irresistible.

No comments:

Post a Comment