Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Platter Patina

When I go thrift store hunting for materials, I have to look beyond what is in front of me and imagine what it could be. I found this brass plate and an identical twin which had wall-hanging findings on the back. I guess this is hunting cabin chic, but I wanted these plates for the verdi green patina.
After trimming off the rim of a plate, I cut different sized discs. Center holes were drilled, and the discs were then domed. I also cut and domed plain brass discs. The domed discs were stacked and riveted together. Faceted aquamarine rondelles wire wrapped with balled sterling dangle below.

I also cut strips from the plate and used one as a base for this dragonfly pin. The oxidized brass dragonfly and a textured copper disc were riveted to the strip. I like how the patinated strip creates a nice contrast to the color and delicate features of the dragonfly

No comments:

Post a Comment