Monday, August 8, 2011

Soldered Ring Part II

My recent ring project encountered some problems while I was soldering, but I was determined to try again, hoping for better results.
While the new ring is similar to my previous project, I tweaked the design.
I cut a longer piece of etched brass (different pattern) and shaped it to have a curve that mimics the ring shank.
A small brass square was again soldered to the etched brass, but I located it off-center.
When preparing to solder, I double and triple-checked the third-hand clamp to avoid any unfortunate shifting of materials. This time, everything stayed in place as the solder flowed....no melting of metals that were not supposed to melt.
After the ring was pickled and cleaned, I drilled a hole through the center of the brass window and used balled sterling wire to rivet set a small, faceted peridot bead.
Such a better outcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment