Sunday, September 4, 2011

Spirituality

I recently overheard someone commenting on the decline in the number of people attending church. I am not aware of the relevant statistics, but I would suspect that there is truth in the comment. What I heard next in this unintentionally eavesdropped conversation continues to bother me- disdain for people who say that they are spiritual in spite of having no church affiliation.
The definition, in part, of spiritual in my Webster's dictionary: "of the spirit or the soul as distinguished from the body or material matters; of or concerned with the intellect; the ascendancy of the spirit showing much refinement of thought and feeling."
While my sons and I do belong to and attend a church in our community, I have always felt strongly that spirituality does not only exist within the confines of organized religion.
We are all surrounded by people who willingly give of their time, resources and talents to benefit a greater good, and many of those efforts are done independent of a church or religious sponsorship.
Those efforts speak to me of spirituality.
During my thrift store searches, I am always drawn to religious medals that physically represent the concept of spirituality. Some are worn in places making me wonder if the previous owner found comfort or strength when holding the medal.
I find a real comfort when incorporating one of these charms into a piece of jewelry.
I recently completed this necklace, 'My Only Recourse', inspired by a vintage Blessed Mary charm that I found at the local thrift store.
Inscribed around the edge of the charm is 'O Mary conceived without sin pray for us who have recourse to thee'.
The charm is attached to a sterling wire wrapped, faceted quartz crystal bead which dangles from a vintage piece of brass filigree.
The sterling chain is wire wrapped with pearls, amazonite, citrine and honey jade, and is finished with a clasp made with 16 gauge sterling wire.

2 comments:

  1. They are lovely! Indeed, religious medals have been passed on and used by people along with the tokens of faith, devotion, and humility. I see that you mentioned Amazonite. Did you know that it has been a long mystery as to the origin of its green color? It has been said that it is from copper compounds, but recent studies have shown that it is from the lead and water content in the feldspar.

    Mannes Carman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another interesting bit of information regarding the stone- it's named after the Amazon River even though there appear to be no recorded deposits in that region of the world. I think that amazonite is a lovely stone and have always had a preference for those stones that are at the blue end of the spectrum.

    ReplyDelete