Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Blooming

I've been working on some organic forms lately and have become very fond of these copper pieces that I think of as unfurling flower blossoms. Even though I try to repeat my motions, each blossom ends up being a unique shape....just like in nature.
As I've been figuring out my technique, I've accumulated a small but growing collection of these blossoms. I had no idea where I was headed as I began this exploration.
Last night I decided that I should figure out how to use these lovely, little blooms.
I cut small squares of previously etched German silver and soldered two blossoms onto each piece. The pieces were pickled and then treated with liver of sulfur.
The above piece on the left is directly out of the liver of sulfur bath, and the piece on the right has been quickly cleaned with a fine grit sanding block.

Now the question is.....what am I going to do with these pieces?
It's a process, and I often have no idea where I'm going.
I've been focusing on cold connections and forced myself to do a soldered bezel last night.
Yay! Successful soldering in one shot.
What a happy surprise!!

No comments:

Post a Comment