Monday, July 16, 2012

A Brass Surprise

I stopped by one of the local thrift stores a few weeks ago and spotted this brass dish tucked away on a shelf.
I thought that the colors were wonderful and initially believed it to be enamel, but a closer inspection helped me realize that the color was most likely some type of paint and that it was flaking off in many, critical areas.
 I debated leaving it on the shelf, but then decided the dish would probably be well worth the $3.00 investment.
 Using my jeweler's saw, I cut out a segment of the pattern.
I then used a brass brush to get rid of most of the flaking paint, and followed up with more cleaning with a sanding block
How lovely is that?!!
I have no idea how I might use this and the other sections that I'll be able to salvage from the dish, but I think it will be fun figuring out those projects.

2 comments: