Monday, November 5, 2012

I Will Always Be a Jersey Girl

Watching the news reports from those communities hardest hit by Hurricane Sandy leaves me profoundly saddened. 
I know that the effects are widespread, however, it's the amount of destruction to my home state, New Jersey, that leaves me speechless.
ap photo Charles Sykes
Communities are flooded with toxic water.
ap photo Peter Hermann
Parts of peoples lives are strewn about. 
Getty Images
Some members of my family are still without power and are struggling with everyone else to find fuel.
(Happy to amend...my brother's power returned late afternoon, 11/05.  Yay!)
Driving to north Jersey this weekend, I saw first hand the exceedingly long lines at the few gas stations that were operating. 
It has become commonplace to wait 6 hours on line only to then find that the gas supply has run out.
Getty Images
The Jersey Shore, a significant backdrop for my high school and college summers, is heatbreakingly devastated.
I am keenly aware that each image of Sandy's damage has painful stories of many individuals connected to it.....homes that are lost, cherished family keepsakes that have been destroyed, livelihoods that have disappeared along with the businesses.
The need is so tremendous, it's hard to grasp the enormity of it all. 
I have donated to the Red Cross Hurricane Sandy Relief Fund, and hope that you will consider donating as well.
It's been quite a few years since I last lived in New Jersey, but I will always be a Jersey Girl.
(exit 148)


No comments:

Post a Comment