Friday, January 25, 2013

I Don't Do Cute

A heading in today's newspaper caught my eye...."Cute costume jewelry could please your Valentine".
Cute? 
Ugh....I don't do cute.
At least, from my perspective, I don't do cute.
As I continue to develop my design aesthetic, I find that I am usually drawn to grittiness...the roughly textured.
Where some might see flaws, I often see a beautiful truthfulness.
This is one of the cuffs that I finished last night.
I let the heat from repeated annealings determine the color, and I aggressively pounded the surface with chisels, dapping punches, screwdrivers....anything that I thought would add an interesting texture. 
With some of my pieces, especially the fold formed cuffs, I'm looking for the beauty that can be revealed in unexpected places.
 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, what a great post for me to find this morning. I don't do 'cute' jewelry either and seeing this and your work is all of the inspiration I need to know that I'm on the right track. You are officially in my 'must read' blogs for the week!

    Best :: lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Lynn. I think that when you're doing what speaks to your heart, you're usually on the right track.

    ReplyDelete