Wednesday, March 13, 2013

New Bangles

Around a year ago, I spent time trying to make fluid, floral-like shapes out of different sized discs of copper.
Combining fold forming and plier forming, I began to get shapes that were acceptable.
Then I sat at my workbench and shaped disc after disc after disc.
These are a few of the formed 'flowers' that I made, and they have been in my collection of supplies waiting to be used.
Last night's work included soldering some of these flowers on to recycled copper bangles.
 After soldering, the bangles were pickled and then tumbled with stainless steel shot to get a shiny finish.
These new bangles nicely complement my recent poppy bangles
 More etching was also done last night.
I prepared pieces of nickel, brass and copper and let them float in etchant while I worked on the bangles.
Towards the end of the evening, I removed the metal and had lovely etched pieces except for one.....
that for some reason refused to etch.
There's got to be a scientific reason why this one piece of nickel did not etch at all, but I can't figure it out.
Same prep, same original sheet of nickel, same etchant, but.... an etching failure.
I do like the beautiful green that formed, just in time for St. Patrick's Day.
I also like the big thumbprint that I ungraciously left behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment