Saturday, August 31, 2013

Grungy Brass Discs

I recently came across some brass discs that caught my attention.
What I especially liked was the size....2" diameter.
I don't normally work with metal discs that large, but the price was low enough to make me confident that I would be able to come up with a plan.
Yes, they were somewhat grungy, but grungy metal never scares me.
Actually....grungy metal is most definitely very appealing to me.
I decided to experiment with etching some of the discs and began by cleaning the surfaces with a fine grit sandpaper.
Images were transferred to the surfaces with a resist before settling the discs into a container of ferric chloride.
Around one hour later....very happy with the results and wishing that I had bought more of these grungy, brass discs.
 

2 comments:

  1. Lovely results!! One of my goals in the coming months is to learn how to etch metals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alice- I'd love to see what you etch!

    ReplyDelete