Friday, March 9, 2012

A Resin Evening

An emergency repair to my son's eyeglasses required the mixing of resin last night, so I decided that I would mix enough to work on some jewelry projects as well.
I had soldered some pieces for future dictionary charms, and finished step one of the resin work.
When first making similar charms, I followed procedures that I had seen outlined in publications featuring other resin work done by jewelry artists. My results left me unsatisfied and frustrated for various reasons. I ended up experimenting and now have a technique that works very nicely for the results that I want.
My technique requires doing an initial pour. After soldering copper jump rings to brass squares, I press the pieces onto the sticky side of duct tape and then carefully pour resin to just below the top of the brass. Contact with the duct tape creates a seal, keeping the resin where I want it- in the brass square.
After one day, I can peel the pieces from the duct tape, and they are now ready for the next step- inserting a small square of text/image which is then covered with the second pour of resin.
This is more labor intensive than the techniques that I had seen published, but I am better able to control the outcome with predictability.
My resin batch was also used for more Longfellow pendants....
and for some new pendants that will hopefully be carried by the bookstore at my son's college.
I found a vintage photo of the landmark building on campus and reduced it to fit some bezel/pendants that I had in my supplies.
Several weeks ago, manager of the bookstore agreed to include my jewelry in the 'Handmade in Pennsylvania' section of the store. I'm delivering inventory on Monday, including these soon-to-be-made-into-necklaces pendants.

No comments:

Post a Comment